Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

Image of a container of xylitol.

There are an increasing number of cases of dogs getting sick from ingesting a common sugar substitute, xylitol. This substance causes no problems in people, but in dogs it can cause wild fluctuations in blood sugar, often leading to a severe hypoglycemia. It can also cause liver failure.

Xylitol is widely used as a sugar substitute since it is as sweet as sucrose but has only one–third of the calories. It is a naturally occurring alcohol found in some plant material. It is extracted from birch wood to make the commercial product.

The types of items where xylitol can be found is increasing. It is common in sugarless gum, mints, and candies. It can be found in some foodstuffs, such as baked goods. It is present in some toiletries, such as toothpaste, mouthwash, and other oral care products, such as Crest White Strips. It is found in some over-the-counter medicines: nasal sprays, Flintstones Children's Vitamins, Beano liquid drops, and Nicorette gum. Some tube feeding formulas contain xylitol. Even some prescription medications, specifically Mobic oral suspension, Gabapentin oral solution, and Zegrid contain xylitol.

Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning

Once a dog ingests xylitol, symptoms may occur in minutes to hours. At lower doses, hypoglycemia is common. You might notice the dog acting weak, staggering, unable to walk, or even seizing. At higher doses, it frequently causes liver failure. With this you may see a loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and jaundice.

It does not take much xylitol to make a dog sick. Even one to two pieces of sugarless gum can cause disease in a small dog. The problem is that xylitol is not always listed as an ingredient on the label, or the amount of xylitol in the product may not be detailed. Often it is listed in "Inactive Ingredients," or "Other Ingredients," but sometimes it is grouped together with other compounds as "sugar alcohols", or it is not listed at all.

Veterinarians and veterinary pharmaceutical companies are well aware of this problem, so this is not the source of problems. Dogs become sick when they chew up people's food, toiletries, or medicine containing Xylitol; the other common method of toxicity is when people pick up medications at a human pharmacy for use in their dog. This may be in commercial prescription medications (especially liquids, as they are trying to improve the flavor for people by sweetening their product), or in compounded medications. Always ask the pharmacist to look in their references to see if xylitol is an ingredient in a medicine before giving it to your dog. They undoubtedly will not know this already since it is not an active ingredient and this problem does not occur in people. Always consult your veterinarian before administering any medications to your dog.

Source:

"New Findings on the Effects of Xylitol Ingestion in Dogs". Veterinary Medicine, Dec 2006' pages 791-797.

Location

Find us on the map

Rancho West Animal Hospital

8645 Baseline Rd. Rancho Cucamonga,CA 91730 (909) 466-5490

Office Hours

Monday - Friday:

9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Saturday:

9:00 am - 2:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Reviews

Read What Our Clients Say

  • ""Best experience! My poor dog had been itching for 5 days relentlessly. One injection and her allergies have been relieved! She is sleeping peacefully tonight! Thank you Dr. Stiles!! You are the Best!!""
    Dawn M
  • ""I could not have asked for a better place. Sadly I had to put down our dog last weekend. The treatment I got and my puppy got was over the top amazing. It's not an easy thing to put your pet down. Having amazing customer service is always a good thing but here they actually care! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything!""
    Kerri D
  • ""We found our new fav. Vet!! The first time I met Dr. Stiles I right away had a good feeling she gave my father and I a warm welcome and introduced herself. She took a look at our pregnant female and after examining her she told us the problem and was 100 percent correct. She could have taken advantage of us and gave us the run around but she didn't. She is honest and trustworthy. We had another concern with a puppy and again very honest with her answers and did not try and rip us off or stress out the puppy in any way. I will be telling everyone about Dr. Stiles at rancho vet!!! Thank you for everything you do.""
    Nadia
  • ""I love it here. The doctor is spectacular
    Really nice and professional
    Lovely office""
    Marianne Brenna K.