Xylitol Food Additive Harmful to Household Pets

Image of chewing gum.

People love sweets and so do many dogs. In fact, some dogs love their family's sweet treats and sneak bites of it when the humans aren't looking. You or your children probably also share goodies with your family pet. Many sweets are made with the substance called xylitol.

Xylitol is used to manufacture many sweet tasting products including: chocolates, cookies, cakes, ice creams, other baked goods and hard candies. You'll find it in toothpaste and hygiene products, some vitamins, gums and mints. In fact, xylitol has been included in products that are sweet in nature and may be labeled as sugar-free.

You may be aware that xylitol is available for bulk purchases and large quantities may be regularly maintained in your household for your family's baking and food preparation needs.

Why? Xylitol is a sugar alcohol being used as a sweetener. Xylitol is often used in products for ingestion by diabetic individuals and it has less calories than regular sugar. The xylitol makes the product taste sweet and doesn't have the same effect on blood sugar that sugar products have.

Eric K. Dunayer indicates in New Findings on the Effects of Xylitol Ingestion in Dogs, that even though xylitol is safe for people, the lives of dogs can be threatened by ingesting it. Just two or three sticks of xylitol gum could be toxic to a 20-pound dog.

Dogs can experience liver failure due to xylitol toxicity. The substance can create changes in their blood sugar, impair it to create hypoglycemia and derail their liver so that it will not filter properly. The liver is the primary organ that controls detoxification and supports proper blood clotting throughout the body.

The United States Food and Drug Administration warned pet owners that xylitol toxicity can be harmful to their dogs. The FDA also issued this warning about ferrets. Because of the known tendency of xylitol to be toxic to dogs it is critical to keep all products containing the substance out of their reach. The consequences of ingesting xylitol can be catastrophic. If you think your dog has ingested xylitol immediately contact your veterinarian, local poison control center or the pet poison hotline at 800-213-6680.

Location

Find us on the map

Rancho West Animal Hospital

8645 Baseline Rd. Rancho Cucamonga,CA 91730 (909) 466-5490

Office Hours

Monday - Friday:

9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Saturday:

9:00 am - 2:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Reviews

Read What Our Clients Say

  • ""Best experience! My poor dog had been itching for 5 days relentlessly. One injection and her allergies have been relieved! She is sleeping peacefully tonight! Thank you Dr. Stiles!! You are the Best!!""
    Dawn M
  • ""I could not have asked for a better place. Sadly I had to put down our dog last weekend. The treatment I got and my puppy got was over the top amazing. It's not an easy thing to put your pet down. Having amazing customer service is always a good thing but here they actually care! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything!""
    Kerri D
  • ""We found our new fav. Vet!! The first time I met Dr. Stiles I right away had a good feeling she gave my father and I a warm welcome and introduced herself. She took a look at our pregnant female and after examining her she told us the problem and was 100 percent correct. She could have taken advantage of us and gave us the run around but she didn't. She is honest and trustworthy. We had another concern with a puppy and again very honest with her answers and did not try and rip us off or stress out the puppy in any way. I will be telling everyone about Dr. Stiles at rancho vet!!! Thank you for everything you do.""
    Nadia
  • ""I love it here. The doctor is spectacular
    Really nice and professional
    Lovely office""
    Marianne Brenna K.