Dangers of Rodent Bait

Image of a dead rat next to bait.

There are several general classifications of rodent poison (rodenticide) available over the counter. The most common is one that prevents blood clotting called an anticoagulant; D- con being the most easily recognized in light of the recent bans on second generation anticoagulant rodenticides.

Anticoagulant rodenticides can come in many forms from liquid, to pellets, to blocks. They are made to be palatable, thus the increase in risk to pets. When they are ingested the active ingredient is absorbed and begins blocking Vitamin K. Vitamin K is not a vitamin in the traditional sense, instead it is a molecule used by the blood during the clotting process.

Poisoning Symptoms

Unfortunately, signs of sickness begin days after ingestion. Usually signs start with weakness, tiredness and then progress to coughing. Nearly 100% of cases of anticoagulant poisonings start with bleeding into the lungs.

Treatment for Poisonings

Treatment of these anticoagulant poisonings often lags behind the initial poisoning resulting in dramatically reduced survival rates. This is often because pets do not act sick after ingesting the poison and therefore owners either are unaware it happened or believe the pet will be fine.

Treatment of these poisonings depends on how soon the pet is brought in for treatment as well as the severity of that pet’s illness. The prognosis and survival rate is dependent on early recognition of signs and treatment.

If an owner is aware that their pet ate the poison, vomiting can be induced to remove as much of the poison as possible and the pet can be started on a Vitamin K supplement until all the poison leaves the body. This reduces the risk of bleeding and the pet has an excellent prognosis with appropriate monitoring.

If a pet is already suspected to be suffering from the signs of poisoning and is bleeding into its lungs or other tissues the treatment is very different. Diagnosis is usually through a blood test that determines how long it takes for the pet’s blood to clot – these times are longer in poisoned pets. Xrays can show how severe the bleeding is into the lungs as well, providing more information for prognosis. The pet is started on Vitamin K and will often need a plasma or whole blood transfusion. The transfusion is important not only to replenish blood volume but also provides the pet with the blood clotting factors the poison is blocking.

Prevention

As with most poisons, owner awareness is critical to saving the life of the pet. Knowing what poisons are on the property and ensuring that pets do not have access is the first step in prevention of poisonings. Then, making sure to check those poisons regularly so if it is ingested, early treatment can be started.

Location

Find us on the map

Rancho West Animal Hospital

8645 Baseline Rd. Rancho Cucamonga,CA 91730 (909) 466-5490

Office Hours

Monday - Friday:

9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Saturday:

9:00 am - 2:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Reviews

Read What Our Clients Say

  • ""Best experience! My poor dog had been itching for 5 days relentlessly. One injection and her allergies have been relieved! She is sleeping peacefully tonight! Thank you Dr. Stiles!! You are the Best!!""
    Dawn M
  • ""I could not have asked for a better place. Sadly I had to put down our dog last weekend. The treatment I got and my puppy got was over the top amazing. It's not an easy thing to put your pet down. Having amazing customer service is always a good thing but here they actually care! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything!""
    Kerri D
  • ""We found our new fav. Vet!! The first time I met Dr. Stiles I right away had a good feeling she gave my father and I a warm welcome and introduced herself. She took a look at our pregnant female and after examining her she told us the problem and was 100 percent correct. She could have taken advantage of us and gave us the run around but she didn't. She is honest and trustworthy. We had another concern with a puppy and again very honest with her answers and did not try and rip us off or stress out the puppy in any way. I will be telling everyone about Dr. Stiles at rancho vet!!! Thank you for everything you do.""
    Nadia
  • ""I love it here. The doctor is spectacular
    Really nice and professional
    Lovely office""
    Marianne Brenna K.